Sunday, January 5, 2014

No Buyer's Remorse

No Buyer's Remorse

In a week that I've spent cleaning out closets and drawers to help de-clutter and simplify life for the coming year, I couldn't help but stop and think about a few items I've added to the mix in 2013 that have made my days just a little bit brighter.  

Benjamin offered to model the items (actually he just skipped his nap so I turned him into a Baby Vanna White).  

Without further adieu, here you have it, in no particular order, with no real rhyme or reason - my favorite purchases of 2013 that will definitely not end up in a giant plastic bag on the curb or at a donation center: 

This Avocado Slicer...




My husband, Ryan, found this thing when I had dragged him to Crate and Barrel to look at something much less exciting earlier this year.  I ignored it in the drawer for a few months, while he raved about it, but then finally gave in.  Now I buy one for everyone I know.  It cost less than ten dollars and it has eliminated my fear (and the very real possibility) that I might lose a finger every time I want an avocado.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/oxo3-in-1-avocado-tool/s553964

These Toms Wedge Boots...




My little sister moved to Denver in June (hooray!) and bought some Toms wedge boots shortly after her move.  I had always admired what Tom does for people without shoes*, it's just that I haven't always admired the style of the fifty dollar plus shoes he sells to those of us who don't need them.  That is until I saw my much trendier younger sister wearing these.  I bought the black ones and when worn with skinny black jeans they can provide the wonderful illusion that you've lost all of your baby weight long before that becomes reality.

http://www.toms.com/womens/shoes/wedges/c?view=all

*he gives them shoes (http://www.toms.com/media/TOMS_Giving_Report_2013.pdf)

My First John Green Books...



I watched my brother pull an all-nighter reading John Green books when we were all up at my parent's lake house in northern Michigan over the 4th of July last year. His interest didn't immediately sell me because he has also been know to buy books about optics and programming and is studying electrical engineering at The University of Michigan.  I have tended to fall on the other end of the numbers spectrum - the type who showed up for Calculus office hours every single week my freshman year to make sure my professor would feel bad enough not to fail me in the only college math class I had to take.  But we have both loved these stories.  Green's first book came out back in 2006 so I'm admittedly a little late to the game, but 'The Fault In Our Stars' hits the silver screen this summer, so if you haven't read any of his books or checked out the YouTube videos he posts with his brother, do yourself a favor and get acquainted with Mr. Green.

http://johngreenbooks.com/

Another White Noise Machine...




It's not nearly as cute as the ones you can find at the baby store, but these suckers work and they're fairly indestructible. I bought one for Noah when he was born and it was great for drowning out noise when we were still in an apartment.  It still works great after being dragged all over the country in a suitcase, dropped a few times and probably swung by the cord (I haven't seen this, I'm just assuming).  I bought another one when we had Benjamin in March and I don't think we would have survived the newborn stage without its beautiful static keeping one child peacefully asleep while the other howls at the top of his lungs.  They work for adults too!

http://www.amazon.com/Marpac-Dohm-DS-Speed-Sound-Conditioner/dp/B000KUHFGM

Runners Up in the Baby Category...

Triple Paste: http://www.triplepaste.com/

Bravado Nursing Bra: http://www.bravadodesigns.com/shop/the-body-silk-seamless-nursing-bra
(I knew Benny would never forgive me if I made him model this)

So what about you?  Any favorites to add to the list?  You don't have to take a photo of your purchase with a child - but it would be awesome if you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment